Would you like a translation?

Followers

by Julie Brooks

Polite notice. All designs are copyright protected. I hope you will be inspired by my designs but please do not copy them. Thank you.

Monday, 21 November 2016

New Beginnings

Hi everyone

Today I would like to share with you a piece of home décor and a card which I made a few weeks back for my sister and brother-in-law, who have moved into a lovely old cottage which needs some cosmetic work doing to it to bring it back to its former glory.

The home décor piece is a box framed picture, the focal point of which is a beautiful LOTV art pad image of a front door of a cottage with wisteria hanging above and lovely plants in pots in the foreground. Sorry, the photo isn't quite 100% sharp for some reason. I based my colour palette on the colours in that image.



So, you can see the lovely image in the centre. I painted the back board with white acrylic and then gave it a coat of white crackle paint around the edges, varying the thickness of the paint to vary the size of the crackles. I bordered the central image on three sides with wide cream lace.

On the left side I added lots of beautiful mulberry paper flowers and some pretty wooden buttons. Tucked in there you might just spy a couple of leaf chipboards (Tando Creative), which I painted first in white and then in a citrus green acrylic paint before the white was completely dry, so I got a toned down version of the green colour.

In the bottom right corner I added a few more flowers, another wooden button and another piece of chipboard foliage from Tando.

Top right I added a chipboard heart which I firstly coated with white paint, then PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze and then, once that was completely dry, a coat of red acrylic paint. Once that was dry I used Pumice Stone Distress Ink to make the cracks more obvious and darken the edges of the heart. I added a top coat of Glossy Accents. I also added a couple more flowers.

All of the flowers and buttons were given a very light dry brushing with white gesso.

Finally, at the bottom, I tied a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Word Band with some twine. The wording seemed very appropriate: Possibility begins with Imagination.


I hope you like this pretty piece of home décor; my sister and brother-in-law absolutely loved it and hung it up straight away.

Finally, here is the new home card I made for them. I used another LOTV art pad image - I have a lot of these in my stash so they may pop up quite frequently as I work my way through them all LOL!


I love how bright and cheery this image is - bird houses and spring flowers - it evokes a feeling of optimism and new beginnings.

I rounded the corners on my card and the papers I used - they were from a free set which came with a magazine - and on the LOTV art pad image.

I again added lace, this time all the way round as a frame for the image. I added one large flower in a citrus green and then stamped two tiny butterflies, one straight onto the image and another onto a separate piece of card which I then cut out and fixed in place. I also stamped one little heart. I can't remember which stamp set the butterfly is from but the heart is one from a free stamp which came with a magazine.

Lastly I stamped the message "home is where the heart is. x" and another heart on the left side of the card - the sentiment stamp comes from a set by Little Clare which I bought at a craft show a few years ago.

The final thing I added was some sequins, and that was the card done.

Many of the items I used in these projects, or similar, can be found in our shop, so do pop over to take a look and take advantage of the offers which are running at the moment!

Well, that's all from me for now, I'll be back soon.

Take care all,
Julie x


No comments: