I hope you are enjoying some lovely spring sunshine now we are mid-way through March. It's sunny here again today but it is still a bit chilly in the breeze.
Today I would like to share with you the card I made for my husband's birthday recently. I was a very lucky Mum and received the new Sizzix Tim Holtz Wild Flower dies for Mother's Day and so I was itching to use them, and this card seemed the perfect excuse because we all love nature in this house, including wild flowers. I also wanted to do something to give the image some kind of dimension or perspective but didn't want to do a pop-up card, and that's when I decided to make the aperture card.
I started off with a white linen texture 6 x 6 card and I die cut a big aperture in the centre front. The next step was to cut a piece of acetate to fit and I glued this in place on the inside, and then created a frame on the inside to cover up where the acetate was fixed in place and just to give it a nicer finish.
Next I chose various colours of linen texture cardstock and die cut the wild flowers. I also stamped a butterfly image onto another piece using Pumice Stone Distress Ink and carefully cut that out, and then stamped the butterfly image again onto the reverse so that the pattern of the wings would be visible on the inside of the card too. I toyed with the idea of die cutting more wild flowers and fixing them to the back of the ones I put on the outside of the card so that there was a textured image of each one showing through the aperture on the inside rather than just the "flat" back of each piece, but on this occasion decided against that. However, it is something I might do next time.
I positioned my wild flowers on the front left, along with the butterfly and then worked on the inside.
Here I used two distress inks, Broken China and Mowed Lawn, to create a grass/sky background. I used a big soft bristled dry brush to lightly apply the inks to the card, building up the colour until I was happy with it.
Then I fixed the rest of my die cut wild flowers in place on the right side of the card so that they would be partially visible through the aperture, and stamped a few tiny butterflies, and that was it, job done, other than adding the sentiment on the front, which I initially stamped straight onto the card, but it stamped slightly crooked and I wasn't happy with it, so I stamped it again on another piece of cardstock, die cut the top edge to tie in with the aperture, and fixed it in place.
My husband liked the card, which was a relief!
It was my first aperture card and I'm happy with how well it came together. I will definitely do more, and I think there's a lot more experimenting to be done to get different effects with this type of card - can't wait!
Take care everyone and I'll be back soon.