Well, the warmer weather continues, some days are sunnier than others, but needless to say we've had the air con going for a few days now to try to keep it feeling more comfortable.
Today I'd like to share with you a little project I completed yesterday and as usual there will be a list at the end of the post of the items you can find in our shop.
I purchased a mirror really cheaply a little while ago. It's quite a chunky frame and has lots of surface area to decorate! It was a plain white surround when I bought it and I decided to add a bit of colour to it - I love colour - who doesn't?!
I forgot to take step-by-step photos because I was just so engrossed in what I was doing so apologies for that and I will try to talk you through it without getting too wordy!
Here is a picture of the completed project - not studio worthy photos at all on this occasion but I think sometimes it's nice that they're not so "staged".
So, for this project I chose to use papers from the Craftwork Cards Bohemian Dreams paper pad. These are wonderful colourful papers and some might find it a struggle to find uses for them because of the bold colours and all the detail. But this one, with all the stamps on it, and all flowers and butterflies, really ticked the boxes for me and I decided it was perfect for this project.
Step 1: cover the front with your chosen papers. I used a strong acrylic glue to stick the paper down. This mirror frame measures roughly 10.25 inches square and the measurement from outer to inner edge is about 3.25 inches. The papers in the pad measure about 8 inches square, so you are going to have overlaps all the way round to completely cover the frame.
Step 2: create a square of buttons in each corner to cover up the paper edges. I used Dovecraft Very Merry buttons because the colours tie in so well.
Step 3: cut some butterflies from another sheet of the paper and affix them on top of their corresponding butterflies around the frame. Affix them only by their bodies, so that their wings stand away from the frame, creating dimension and a feeling of movement.
Step 4: Add in flowers and other embellishments of your choosing in the corners and around the sides, until you have something you're happy with. I also added some acetate butterflies which I had made a while ago and whose colours matched perfectly with this project. I added beads to their bodies for extra dimension and sparkle.
Step 5: Die-cut the words "hello" and "beautiful" and fix them in place above and below the mirror. The word "hello" is in a speech bubble and is one from the set of dies called Modern Sentiments by First Edition. I simply cut away the little "tail" of the speech bubble and fixed the word so that the butterfly's wing filled the gap! The word "beautiful" was die-cut using a Tim Holtz die out of my stash. I die-cut the words twice, and glued the two layers together to create something slightly more dimensional.
Step 6: colour the two words "hello" and "beautiful" with chipped sapphire distress marker or another colour of your choosing. You can see from the photo above that originally the words were a very pale blue, but I decided they didn't stand out enough, hence colouring them with the much darker shade. Of course, if I'd just cut the words from darker card in the first place that would have cut a step out but hey, that's the creative process for you - not always logical!!!
Step 8: apply Star Dust Stickles Glitter Glue to the wings of the dimensional butterflies and the two words. This gives the butterfly wings a beautiful shimmering effect and makes the words pop - this glitter glue works really well on top of the dark colour of the chipped sapphire distress marker.
Step 7: ink around the edges of the frame with chipped sapphire distress ink, or any colour of your choosing. A darker colour helps pull the whole thing together. I used the same colour that I used on my words, and it also tied in very well with the blue of my acetate butterfly wings. I also added a little ink to the two large flowers in the top left and bottom right corners.
So, I hope these step-by-steps give you a good idea of how the project came together and I hope you like it. There are countless ways to use the papers in your stash, and this is just one of them! Equally, there are countless ways I could have created this piece, varying the papers I used, the embellishments, making the corners a different colour from the rest of the frame, and so on. As a very well-known and well-loved designer once said "the possibilities are only limited by your own imagination". And on that note I will be back soon with a very different version of this project for you to feast your eyes on!
Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment - I love to read them, and I'll be back soon with some more inspiration for you.
The following products used in this project can be found at our shop by clicking the button at the top of the page or by clicking on this link: www.beebaabcraftingsupplies.co.uk:
- Bohemian Dreams 8x8 Paper Pad by Craftwork Cards
- Very Merry Buttons by Dovecraft
- Modern Sentiments die set by First Edition
- Mini Distress Ink Pads
- a good selection of beautiful flowers by The Hobby House
- Santoro Willow Stick Pins
- self-adhesive gems and pearls
Come and shop with us and we'll give you 15% off your purchase - use code BDB1 at the check-out, plus free postage on all orders over £30 (UK only - if you're overseas, please contact us for postage details before placing your order.) See you there! xx