Good morning everyone
At the start of what apparently is going to be a very grey and dull week here in the UK, with conditions that are far from "totally tropical", I thought I'd brighten your day with something I made a couple of weeks ago.
Materials used: Tando Heart-Shaped Mini Printer Tray
First Edition Tropical dies set
white acrylic paint
DecoArt Media Texture Sand Paste
Starlights Metallics Platinum paint
Distress Inks: Abandoned Coral and Mermaid Lagoon
papers from my stash
beads from my stash
The Tando printer trays come in four sturdy chipboard layers - a solid base layer and three layers with apertures, and you glue it all together to make a kind of shadow box with compartments. You could use less layers if you wanted something with less depth.
The first step was to glue a sheet of paper from my stash to the base layer to provide a background, and I then painted and glued together the layers. I used a couple of coats of white acrylic paint to give a good white base to work from.
Next I wanted to add sand. I used the texture sand paste on most of the piece and left it to dry. Once it was completely dry I painted it with the Starlights platinum paint.
Using the dies from the First Edition Tropical set I cut my various embellishments out of assorted papers. This die set includes a flower, a cocktail, sunglasses, surf boards, palm trees, a pineapple and a fish. The only one I didn't use in this piece was the fish. They cut really well, even through thicker card and papers. They mostly require two lots of cutting because they are designed in such a way that various parts create either a second layer or fill-ins in a different colour or pattern of your choosing to create a more dimensional appearance.
Once assembled I figured out my placement, which took a bit of time because I couldn't make my mind up on some things - typical me really, half my time on any make is the time I take making up my mind where to place embellishments! Anyway, once I had a clear idea of where I was going to put things I fixed them in place with glue and foam pads. The papers I chose were from a DCWV paper pad I've had for a while, called Safari Kids. I hadn't used any of it, which is not unusual as I'm a typical paper hoarder! The papers included one covered in a tropical leaf print, which was perfect for the base, and another had some little palm trees in two sizes on it, which was very lucky and perfect for this piece so I cut a few out to add in some of the apertures.
I painted three beads to look like coconuts on the desert island. Fortunately they have holes through the centre so I threaded each one onto a pin, painted them then rested the pins on one of the apertures in my piece to hold them up off the desk so that the beads could dry. Once completely dry I glued them in place.
I left it like that for a while, thinking I was happy with it as it was, but it was lacking warmth, and I was going for a tropical sunset kind of feel, so then I carefully inked around the embellishments, frame and inside the compartments with the two distress inks to give the appearance of a beautiful tropical sunset.
Finally I added the words totally tropical which were computer generated.
Each time I look at this piece it cheers me up no end on these grey dismal winter days and I can almost feel the warmth of that gentle tropical breeze blowing through the palm trees as I sip my cocktail on the beach. I hope you like it too.
All the products listed, except papers and beads, can be found at our shop here, so do pop over and pick up this little bundle and make your own totally tropical scene.
Bye for now,